The next time you have a bunch of shrimp shells leftover DO NOT toss them! This simple shrimp shell stock is made from leftover shrimp shells and adds flavor to soups, risotto and pretty much anything!
*this post may contain affiliate links for products i love which helps support my blog!
Yield: About 6 cups
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Shells from 1 pound shrimp (frozen or fresh shells)
- I small yellow onion and quartered
- 1 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Add your favorite seasonings
- Pour olive oil into a pot over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp shells, thyme, garlic, bay leaf and any additional seasoning (if desired). Let the mixture sauté 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 7 cups of water and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve. Use immediately or Let cool completely before refrigerating/freezing
***Refrigerate the stock for up to 3 days or freeze in airtight containers for up to 2 months
Need a shrimp recipe? Try my Bbq shrimp recipe HERE